World No. 8 Roger Federer has decided to pull out of the ongoing French Open 2021. Federer feels he needs to take things slowly as he is still recovering from two knee surgeries he has had last year. The former World No.1 had to battle hard for 3 hours and 35 minutes in his third round match against Germany’s Dominik Koepfer.
Federer was to play Matteo Berrettini in the fourth round of the competition on Monday but he has decided to withdraw from the tournament. The flamboyant player added that it was his pleasure to be back on court and getting three matches under his belt is a great confidence booster for him.
Federer’s main aim is to go all the way in the upcoming Wimbledon, which will begin from June 28. He will be chasing his ninth title at Wimbledon.
“After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland Garros today,” the 39-year-old said. “After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery. “I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court.”
“The Roland Garros tournament is sorry about the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who put up an incredible fight last night,” said Guy Forget, the tournament director. “We were all delighted to see Roger back in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season.”
In fact, Federer had hinted that he could pull out of French Open 2021 after winning his third round match against Dominik Koepfer.
Meanwhile, Matteo Berrettini has earned a free pass in the fourth round and now he will play the Quarterfinals.