Nick Kyrgios has announced his withdrawal from the US Open due to concerns about the coronavirus. Kyrgios, who has been very outspoken about the virus, followed the footsteps of WTA number 1, Ashleigh Barty, who announced her decision to withdraw from the event last week. The US Open is scheduled to start on August 31 and would take place without fans in attendance.
The Australian made his decision known in a video he released on Sunday, where he also pleaded for some of his colleagues to take the virus seriously. He said that his decision was out of solidarity and respect. His words: “It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport’s greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium. But I’m sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you. It’s my decision.”
He also directed some of his words at some top players, particularly those who took part in the events hosted by Novak Djokovic last two months, after they tested positive for the virus.
He said, “Tennis players, you have to act in the interests of each other and work together. You can’t be dancing on tables, money-grabbing your way around Europe or trying to make a quick buck hosting an exhibition — that’s just so selfish. Think of the other people for once, that’s what this virus is about. It doesn’t care about your world ranking or how much money you have in the bank. Act responsibly.” This is not the first time Kyrgios would be taking shots at his colleagues, describing their decision to take part in Djokovic’s event as a “boneheaded decision.”
Last month, he called out the USTA for wanting to go on with the event, tagging them as “selfish” but revealed in his Sunday message that he does not have a problem with their decision, as there were people, such as restaurant staff and cleaners, who needed the tournament to go on.
Written by: Leon Osamor