With the coronavirus affecting every sporting event around the world, the English and Wales Cricket Board has announced that all cricket events should be postponed for now.
Due to that, the 2020 County Championship, which was slated to start on the 12th of April has been moved to May 28.
With England recording more than 170 deaths so far, it has become necessary for people to avoid large gatherings, something always present in cricket games.
Football activities have since been suspended. The suspension of sporting activities mostly came without a new date. The new date set by the ECB is a speculation as the resumption was delayed by seven weeks from the initial date.
The statement released by the ECB stated that the delay of all professional cricket events would make sure that no event was played in England or Wales.
This is as England was to host West Indies on the 4th of June. The reality of that event is quite shaky given the situation on ground. Even though the Caribbean had offered to hold it, there is still no assurance that the game could hold.
At the moment, what seems sure is domestic games like the T20 Blast, which is a 20-over competition for teams in the counties. Another domestic event, according to Alec Stewert, could be the Hundred.
The ECB has said it would reconvene in April to see how plans could be rescheduled. They also mentioned that plans are already in place to set new dates for men and women events.
According to Tom Harrison, chief executive of the ECB, the decision to delay the start of the season was a collaborative effort among stakeholders in English and Wales, and it was necessary due to the pandemic.
He said it was the duty of the ECB to “protect the wellbeing of everyone within the cricket family, from players to fans and colleagues across the game.”
Written by Leon Osamor