Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder will renew their rivalry in the ring next spring, the British heavyweight has announced.
Fury survived a final-round knockdown when the pair met last December and was forced to settle for a draw – leading to Wilder retaining his WBC title – despite many experts feeling the Brit did enough to earn a points win.
A rematch was mooted and, with both fighters in winning form since, Fury says an agreement is in place for next year. “The rematch has been confirmed and signed, 22 February,” he said.
Speaking at a Q&A event at Dunfermline’s Alhambra Theatre, Fury added: “It’s on, the rematch. This time I am going to knock him out. “This time I haven’t been out the ring for three years, this time I haven’t been abusing too much alcohol.”
Fury, 30, stopped German Tom Schwarz in round two on June 15 in Las Vegas in his first fight since that controversial draw with Wilder. Wilder, 33, had returned to action in May with a sensational first-round knockout of Dominic Breazeale to retain his WBC world heavyweight title in New York.
With Anthony Joshua having unexpectedly lost his WBO, WBA and IBF titles to Andy Ruiz Jr in New York last month, Fury insisted after his win over Schwarz that a planned rematch with Wilder is boxing’s biggest ticket now.
“Deontay Wilder is coming. This fight is happening. There were three horses in the heavyweight division; now there’s two,” he said in Las Vegas.