Sources told ESPN that IBF and IBO middleweight champion GennadiyGolovkin suffered a right calf injury that will likely push back his mandatory defense against KamilSzeremeta once again.
According to reports, Golovkin and his team have filed for an extension with the IBF, causing the fight to take place in May or June.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn told ESPN last week that the fight, originally planned for February 29 before being moved back for various reasons to March 28, would not happen April at the earliest.
Per a DAZN spokesperson, they are looking at new dates for the Golovkin-Szeremeta fight. Tom Loeffler of GGG Promotions declined to give a statement when ESPN reached out to him.
Golovkin (40-1-1, 35 KOs), will turn 38 years old in April. He recently won the vacant IBF and IBO middleweight by beating SergiyDerevyanchenko by unanimous decision on October 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
GGG joined Victor Conte’s physical conditioning program at his SNAC facilities in San Carlos, California but the two sides parted ways after just one month and now he has to prepare for the Szeremeta fight with a different camp.
“We did our best to help Gennadiy, but he was simply not able to do what we asked him to do,” Conte told ESPN last Tuesday. “In short, I asked him to leave our facility because he did not comply with what we had agreed upon before camp started. However, I do wish him good luck in the future.”